Bishop Auckland 2 – 2 Guisborough Town

Bishop Auckland 2 – 2 Guisborough Town



Date Time Competition Season Attendance
30/09/2020 19:45 Northern League Division 1 2020/21 148

KO Guisborough Town F.C. Logo KO 17 45 47 58 69 69 FT


Guisborough Town left Bishop Auckland’s Heritage Park Stadium on Wednesday night with a point from a very hard-fought game, but their overall performance could – and should – have yielded them all three points.

The managerless Bishops, rooted at the bottom of the table after four successive league defeats, were there for the taking. But Guisborough played well and dominated for significant periods of the game, they couldn’t quite rediscover the scintillating form they showed at Penrith last Saturday.

Guisborough Manager Gary Forster summed things up perfectly after the game when he commented: “A point away from home in this league is always hard-earned but tonight we had enough of the ball and more than enough chances to have won the game.

“We have some excellent defenders and midfield players but for some reason we are conceding too many goals.

“To score two away from home like we did at Bishop Auckland should be more than enough to bring victory and for that I need to have a look at myself and how we go about setting the team up,” added Gary candidly.

Despite the frustration of some early floodlight failures which thankfully got sorted out after a six minute stoppage in play, Guisborough were the quickest to settle and in the 17th minute the Priorymen deservedly took a 1-0 lead when Mason McNeill was brought down in the box and up stepped Mark Robinson to send former Guisborough ‘keeper Nick Liversedge the wrong way in the Bishop’s goal.

But Guisborough squandered their lead on 30 minutes when full back Dylan McAvoy inexplicably and blatantly handled a high ball into the penalty area and Kyle Morris despatched the spot kick with ease for 1-1.

Two minutes later the Bishops went mightily close to taking the lead when winger Luke Hogan burst through the Guisborough defence but he pulled his angled shot narrowly wide of the far post. That was a real let-off for Guisborough.

The teams went in level at half-time but just two minutes after the break the Priorymen stormed into the lead again with a terrific goal from young Joseph ‘JJ’ Bartliff.


Guisborough players had swarmed into the Bishops’ penalty area and Sonni Coleman was unlucky to see a header hit the post and bounce clear. But the onrushing JJ crashed home a fierce unstoppable 20 yard drive into the roof of the net to put his side 2-1 up.

The lead was short-lived, however for just seven minutes later Bishops levelled when Bishops winger Liam Goldsborough was allowed far too much space down the right flank and he crossed to the unmarked Kieron Parnaby beyond the far post and he swept the ball home into the empty net for 2-2.

In the 68th minute the Bishops were reduced to 10 men – temporarily at least – when Liam Potter was ‘sin-binned’ for 10 minutes for dissent.

It was a golden opportunity for Guisborough to press home their one-man advantage and the impressive Fred Woodhouse, a midweek signing from Stockton, almost scored on his debut when he hit a great shot but Liversedge in the Bishops’ goal was equal to it.

Guisborough’s other debutant from Marske, Matthew Garbutt, had a good chance to clinch victory five minutes from time but his free kick from just outside the Bishop’s penalty area cleared the bar by a couple of feet.

Despite the point gained, Guisborough actually slipped three places to 10th position in the league table because of the results of other teams just above or below them.

Guisborough’s next game is at the KGV this weekend on Saturday, 3 October when Northumberland side Ashington are the visitors (KO 3pm).

Author: Bill Perfitt


Christopher Joyce


Heritage Park