Guisborough Town 1 – 2 Tadcaster Albion

Guisborough Town 1 – 2 Tadcaster Albion



Date Time Competition Season Attendance
12/09/2020 15:00 Emirates FA Cup 2020/21 300

Guisborough Town F.C. Logo KO 26 53 56 62 67 78 FT


It was a Preliminary Round exit in the FA Cup for Guisborough Town as they lost 2-1 to Northern Premier League outfit Tadcaster Albion.

The game got off to an electric start, and Aaron Steavens made a fantastic double save inside the first minute of the game to deny The Brewers an early lead.

Just a minute later, Cal Martin released fire down the other end of the pitch, and his shot fizzed across the face of the goal and just past the right post of the Tadcaster goal.

On the 5th minute mark, Sonni Coleman was on the receiving end of a high boot, but no card was brandished from the referee.

13 minutes into the game, a trademark Harry Thompson free kick was hit just narrowly over the bar.

Shortly before the 20th minute, Tadcaster found space on the right, and a cross found its way towards Bailey Thompson who headed home for The Brewers to make the score 1-0.

Guisborough fought valiantly, and five minutes later responded with an indirect free kick in the box (the second in two games), after Michael Insham in the Tadcaster goal picked up a back pass. The combination of Harry Thompson and Joe Ferguson worked out once again, with Thompson laying off Ferguson who placed the ball beautifully into the top corner of the Tadcaster net to level the scores at 1-1.

On the half hour mark, Steavens was called into action once more, when he made an excellent stop with his feet to deny Tadcaster the lead, and this was swiftly followed by a Sonni Coleman header which just evaded the bar at the other end of the pitch.

In the 39th minute, an off the ball incident saw Joe Ferguson go in the book for the Priorymen, while Jack Vann saw yellow for the Brewers.

The scores were almost level at halftime, but for Ify Ofoegbu, whose overhead kick took a deflection off a Guisborough player and landed in the back of the Guisborough net on 45+1, sending the Brewers into the break with a one-goal advantage.

The second half got off to a slower start, and Aaron Steavens was called into action once more and produced a brilliant low save to deny Tadcaster a third.

JJ Bartliff came off the bench to replace Harry Thompson in the 53rd minute, and 5 minutes later Dylan McAvoy replaced Brandon Holdsworth. Guisborough’s third and final substitution saw Paul Young replaced by Jimmy Ward in the 62nd minute.

In the 67th minute, captain Josh Rowbotham went into the book for a strong tackle, and the resulting free kick from Kevin Dos Santos rattled the Guisborough bar.

6 minutes later, it was Sonni Coleman who was released on goal, and his header was narrowly just wide of the goal.

In the 78th minute, Sonni Coleman was the next man to be shown a yellow card, despite seemingly being on the receiving end of the challenge.

With four minutes left to play, Joe Ferguson struck a free kick narrowly over the bar, but Guisborough could not find another goal, and after 3 minutes of added time, the referee blew the whistle, and ended Guisborough’s FA Cup run for another season.

Manager’s Thoughts

Manager Gary Forster reflected on the game after the final whistle: “It was a hard-fought game which we can take a lot of heart from: we weren’t outplayed, outfought or outworked. It was one of those games where the result could have easily been reversed. We threw the kitchen sink at them for the first 30 minutes, and they stood up to it so credit to them for that.

Joe Ferguson and Josh Rowbotham were both outstanding on the pitch today. It’s onwards and upwards from our perspective. They finished in the top six in the league above us, so to narrowly get beaten by them is by no means a negative. However, on another day we could easily have gone through.

What’s next?

Guisborough’s next game is away to Whickham in the Ebac Northern League Division One on Wednesday 16th September, and the game kicks off at 7:30pm. Guisborough’s next home game is against Washington on Saturday 19th September, in the FA Vase First Qualifying Round.

Tadcaster Albion

2 1
Yellow Cards
Red Cards


King George V Stadium
King George V Stadium Howlbeck Road, Guisborough TS14 6LE