Guisborough Town 1-2 Thornaby FC

Guisborough Town 1-2 Thornaby FC



Date Time Competition Season Attendance
14/10/2020 19:45 Northern League Division 1 2020/21 282

Guisborough Town F.C. Logo KO KO 35 51 71 72 72 73 80 94 95 FT


Guisborough Town’s run of league games without a win was extended to four last night as Teesside derby rivals Thornaby won an at times bruising encounter at the KGV Stadium by 2-1.
Losing 1-0 at half-time, the Priorymen found themselves with a mountain to climb just six minutes into the second half when their star striker Sonni Coleman was shown a straight red card following a tangle with Thornaby’s former Guisborough defender Jamie Poole.

Few people in an excellent crowd of 282 saw what actually happened but Poole was left with a bloodied nose while Guisborough’s top goalscorer Coleman strongly protested his innocence of any wrongdoing after the red card was shown.

Coleman wasn’t the only player to see red as it was later confirmed that Thornaby’s Callum Hannah was sent off after the final whistle so it finished all square on red cards on the night!

That was little consolation to Guisborough who must have had high hopes of getting a good result against Thornaby after their superb FA Vase victory at Silsden four days earlier.There was almost a sensational start for Guisborough in the very first minute of the game when winger Mason McNeill unleashed a terrific 30-yard shot but Josh Mazfari in the Thornaby goal managed to get a fingertip to the ball which whistled just over the bar.

In the 12th minute it was Guisborough goalkeeper Aaron Steavans’ turn to come to his side’s rescue when he brilliantly got a hand to a Thornaby cross shot to push it wide for a corner.
On 33 minutes surged through the Thornaby defence but Mazfari saved once again. Just two minutes later Thornaby took the lead when former Guisborough man Peter Bulmer found the far corner of the net with a well-placed cross shot.

In the second half Guisborough seemed to lose their way after the Coleman sending off and Thornaby doubled their lead on 71 minutes when Joseph Carter make it 2-0.

Guisborough pulled a goal back in the 94th minute when substitute Christian Selby scored from the penalty spot after Thornaby fouled blatantly in the penalty area, but it was scant consolation for a disappointing performance overall.

A deeply disappointed Guisborough Manager Gary Forster said after the game: “We were disgusting in the second half. The team was very naïve to say the least.

“In our last two home games we have been badly hampered by two very early sendings-off. For the first one, involving Charlie Marshall, I laid the blame at the referee’s door for what I thought were two harsh yellow cards. In Sonni’s case tonight, while I feel Jamie Poole made a meal of the situation, Sonni’s stupidity in going head to head with Jamie has given the referee a big decision to make. Sonni should know better than to get himself involved in that way.”

“After the sending off we seemed to press the panic button and we just didn’t play the kind of football that we know we can play. We conceded possession very cheaply and fell into the trap set by their game plan massively. Improvements must be made,” added Gary.

Guisborough’s next game is a very tough one away at second-placed Newcastle Benfield on Saturday, 24 October (KO 3pm).

Author: Bill Perfitt


King George V Stadium
King George V Stadium Howlbeck Road, Guisborough TS14 6LE