Behind the former register office is Guisborough library, on the site of the Quaker meeting house. Erected in 1815, it was demolished in 1964/5. In front of the meeting house was an open area with cottages at the front, facing onto Westgate. They were demolished in c1965 to make way for the former register office. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, the cottages here were the homes of the ironstone miners. Ironstone mining had begun around Guisborough in the 1860s.