Whickham 3-0 Guisborough Town

Whickham 3-0 Guisborough Town



Date Time Competition Season
09/04/2022 15:00 Ebac Northern League Division 1 2021/22

KO Guisborough Town F.C. Logo KO 27 60 82 FT

Match Report

Guisborough Town Manager Steve Bell was highly critical of his players as they slumped to their third successive defeat in a very disappointing display at Whickham on Saturday.

After seeing his side comprehensively beaten by 3-0, Steve commented: “I think the lads are starting to think that they are all good players all of a sudden!

“But quite simply recent performances have not been good enough. We have shown no heart or fight since the Marske game.

“Quite frankly, I’m bored of even mentioning that win now. This was an embarrassing performance against Whickham today. Some of the lads seem to be in cruise control at the minute. It’s just not good enough,” he added.

In the first half, the Priorymen rarely featured as a cohesive attacking force and their first chance of any note didn’t come until the 34th minute when recent new signing Matthew Ridley got on the end of a free kick into the Whickham box but home ‘keeper James Anderson saved Ridley’s header comfortably.
Seven minutes earlier Whickham had taken the lead when some slack defending saw Guisborough fail to deal with a cross into their penalty area and Whickham captain Zac Atkinson shot home left footed into the far right hand corner of the net.

Three minutes after that on the half hour Guisborough were indebted to ‘keeper Robert Dean who dived bravely on the ball to thwart a Whickham attack to ensure the score remained 1-0 to half-time.

After the interval Guisborough brought on striker Cole Kiernan to try and add some more zip and penetration to their attack and Kiernan raised the Priorymen’s hopes on 58 minutes when he broke down the right flank and put over a threatening cross but Whickham ‘keeper Anderson cut the ball out diving at full stretch.


Then just two minutes later on the hour mark Whickham doubled their lead with a counter attack down the left which culminated in skipper Atkinson crossing to Scott Robson who scored easily, shooting into a virtually unprotected Guisborough net.

In the 69th minute Guisborough came close to pulling a goal back when winger Ben Jackson, the Priorymen’s best player on the day, got in two excellent fierce shots in quick succession but Whickham ‘keeper Anderson saved well from both efforts.

On 82 minutes Whickham wrapped up a 3-0 victory and three deserved points when a rare error from Guisborough ‘keeper Dean was taken advantage of by Atkinson who fired home his second goal from fully 40 yards out into an empty net.

Guisborough’s next match is this coming Saturday, 16 April when they will entertain Sunderland Ryhope CW in their final game of the season at the KGV Stadium (KO 3pm).

Report: Bill Perfitt


RefereeAssistant Referees
Steven LawsonGeoff Mann
Matthew Smith

Past Meetings



Glebe Sports Ground
Rose Avenue, Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne NE16 4NA