Whitley Bay 1-3 Guisborough Town

Whitley Bay 1-3 Guisborough Town



Date Time Competition Season
18/02/2023 15:00 Ebac Northern League Division 1 2022/23

KO Guisborough Town F.C. Logo KO 28 33 35 59 66 66 66 72 81 85 86 89 90 92 FT

Match Report

Just one week ago after seeing his side narrowly beaten 1-0 by title-chasing Ashington, Guisborough Town Manager Steve Bell declared that he felt his side were very close to becoming a genuine “top team” in the Northern League.

Well, after despatching another top team – Whitley Bay – yesterday following a superbly impressive display, Steve’s comments last week are looking prophetically achievable.

In the end, the Priorymen swept aside the Bay with the minimum of ease and maximum classiness.

The only disappointment of the first half was that it took the Guisborough all of 35 minutes to finally get their noses in front.

In the first 20 minutes the Priorymen were rampant putting constant pressure on the Bay defence with Mikey McGee, Cole Kiernan and Shabs Mohammed all looking threatening and going close to opening the scoring.

Bay came back into it briefly from the 20 minute mark but the Guisborough defence stood resolute and goalkeeper Will Cowey was always there as highly competent back-up.

Winger Jack Blackford and Mohammed both tested the Bay goal on 31 and 33 minute respectively before Blackford beautifully created Guisborough’s first goal on 35 minutes when he swung over a great cross into the middle and McGee headed home for 1-0 to the Priorymen.

Bay almost equalised five minutes before half-time when a shot from the edge of Guisborough penalty area was well saved again by Cowey.

After the interval Kiernan went close on 51 minutes forcing a good save from the Bay ‘keeper but eight minutes later Guisborough’s leading marksman doubled his side’s lead when full back Liam Miller won a good header and the ball fell to Kiernan who surged into the Bay penalty area and scored with an excellent shot.

There was drama in the 85th minute when Bay were awarded a penalty which earned Guisborough defender Miller a red card but Malcolm Morien missed the spot kick.  However Morien made amends in the 91st minute when he pulled a goal back for the Bay.

However, Guisborough snuffed out any chance of a late, late Bay equaliser when Mikey McGee scored his second goal when skipper JJ Bartliff put McGee through with a penetrating free kick and the big striker did the rest to seal a well-deserved 3-1 victory for the resurgent Priorymen.


After the game a hugely satisfied Guisborough Manager commented:  “”This was a really great win today.  We started really well and should gave scored within the first five minutes.

“The game settled down for the next 20 minutes or so and then a brilliant cross from Jack Blackford was met with an even better headed finish by Mikey McGee which gave us a deserved 1-0 half-time lead.

“I told the lads at half-time that they needed to be real ‘men’ to go on to win the game and I am delighted to say that the ‘men’ certainly turned up.

“I have to say that although the referee seem to try his hardest to give them something we still managed to overcome that.

“All three of our goals today were brilliant and capped what was an even more brilliant performance all round,” said Steve.  “That’ll do nicely,” he added.

Report: Bill Perfitt

Past Meetings



Hillheads Park
Whitley Bay Football Club, Rink Way, Monkseaton, Whitley Bay, North Tyneside, North East England, England, NE25 8HR, United Kingdom