Guisborough Town 1-2 Marske United

Guisborough Town 1-2 Marske United



Date Time Competition Season Attendance
09/07/2022 15:00 John Butterfield Memorial Trophy 2022/23 376

Match Report

Guisborough Town’s pre-season build up continued at the KGV Stadium on Saturday when they were narrowly beaten 2-1 by former arch rivals Marske United in the annual John Butterfield Memorial Trophy game.

The weakened Priorymen were without three regulars – Robert Dean, Shabs Mohammed and Jack Blackford – who would been in Manager Steve Bell’s starting line-up but for injury.

Nevertheless Guisborough acquitted themselves very well against neighbours Marske who these days play fully two league steps above them. 

Guisborough played extremely well in the first half and held Marske to 1-1 up to half-time but Marske’s superiority told in the second half as they scored a second goal and the winner but the Priorymen never gave up to the final whistle.

Steve Bell is very pleased with the way his team’s build up to the new season is going and after the Marske game he commented:

I’m really, really pleased with the lads and how well they are playing and the high levels of fitness and energy they are showing.

Marske provided us with a real challenge in really tough, hot conditions. Because of injuries we only played with two subs and a few players were carrying knocks so overall really happy with ow things are going.

Guisborough started brightly and deservedly took the lead in the 22nd minute when the lively Jason Blackburn was upended in the Marske box and the big striker himself took the spot kick and sent the Marske keeper the wrong way to score easily for 1-0 to the Priorymen.

It took Marske until three minutes before half-time to get on level terms in fortunate circumstances when a Glen Butterworth shot from the edge of the area took a wicked deflection and ended up in the corner of the net despite Guisborough goalkeeper Will Cowey’s despairing dive.

It was tough on Will who, deputising for the injured Robert Dean, had made some excellent saves to keep Marske at bay.

In the second half Marske gradually got on top and took the lead on 52 minutes when from a corner the Seasiders’ lanky new 6ft 5ins striker Connor Simpson scored with a free header to make it 2-1 to the visitors.


Guisborough tried their best to get back in the game but it was Marske who came closest to scoring again when they hit the post in the 76th minute when it looked easier to score.

At the end of the game Guisborough General Manager Chris Wood paid warm tribute to the late John Butterfield, in whose honour the game is now annually staged between Guisborough and Marske.

Chris said John would always be remembered at the KGV for his dedicated service to the club over many years, both as Club Secretary and then Press Officer.

John’s daughter Leanne, who used to accompany John at games both home and away before his passing, attended the game and presented the trophy to Marske skipper Glen Butterworth.

Leanne Butterfield (right), John Butterfield’s daughter, presents the Memorial Trophy in John’s name to the winning captain of Marske United

Guisborough Town


Marske United

Yellow Cards
Red Cards
Sin Bin

Past Meetings



King George V Stadium
King George V Stadium Howlbeck Road, Guisborough TS14 6LE