Stockton Town v Guisborough Town

Stockton Town v Guisborough Town



Date Time Competition Season Attendance
05/09/2020 15:00 Northern League Division 1 2020/21 300

Guisborough Town F.C. Logo KO 54 55 57 67 73 FT


Guisborough Town prevailed against last season’s league leaders to get a draw in the first game of the 2020/21 season.

It was Stockton who dominated the early period of the game, with a cross narrowly evading forward Mikey Roberts at the back post of the Guisborough goal in the 7th minute.

Aaron Steavens was tested once again in the 15th minute, when Nathan Mulligan fired a shot across the goal which was well saved by Steavens.

Three minutes later, Sonni Coleman was involved in a clash in the box, but the referee waved play on, much to the dismay of the travelling Guisborough fans who were hoping for a penalty.

Just before the half hour mark, The Anchors capitalised on a rare Aaron Steavens mis-kick, and it was Mikey Roberts who coolly slotted the ball home for the hosts to make the score 1-0.

Guisborough were forced into an early change when Steven Roberts was replaced by Louis Goldsack in the 35th minute and saw out the remainder of the half to leave the hosts with a one goal advantage going into the break.

Just 5 minutes after the second half resumed, midfielder Joe Ferguson was taken down in the box by a Stockton defender but no penalty was given again.

Harry Thompson saw the first yellow of the gave four minutes later for a strong challenge and was replaced by JJ Bartliff a minute later.

Guisborough never looked like giving in, and their efforts were rewarded on the 57th minute, when substitute Louis Goldsack was left unmarked in the penalty area and headed in a Callum Martin corner to level the scores at 1-1.

The goal gave Guisborough the momentum they had so desperately sought in the first half.

Scorer turned provider when 10 minutes later Goldsack played a clever through ball to Sonni Coleman – who produced a chip so beautiful that it wouldn’t look out of place in Westgate Fish Bar – and he put the Priorymen 2-1 up against his former club.

On the 73rd minute Guisborough made their final substitution when full-back Dylan McAvoy replaced the man of the hour, Louis Goldsack.

Two minutes later, Stockton were awarded a free kick, and fortunately for them and unfortunately for Guisborough, the ball was slightly mishit, bounced off the Guisborough bar and fell to Coulthard two yards out, who levelled the score to 2-2.

With a minute left to play, Stockton looked to break dangerously, but a strong – and late – tackle from Charlie Marshall soon put an end to it and saw him receive a yellow card for his efforts.

The referee blew the whistle for full time just after Stockton took their free kick, and the final score was a solid result for Guisborough who fought resiliently throughout the game.

Manager’s Thoughts

Manager Gary Forster reflected after the game, saying: “I thought it was a great team performance today. We could’ve played a bit more, especially when we were on the front foot, and we rushed ourselves a bit, so we have to improve on that aspect of our game. Coming here before the game, I’d have taken the 2-2 draw, but after watching the game I felt that we deserved all three points. I know Stockton carry a threat, but overall, I thought we were the better side. We definitely should’ve had a penalty in the first half – it was a stonewall penalty in my opinion. I’m pleased but not delighted because I thought we could have got the three points.”

Stockton Town

Yellow Cards
Red Cards


Matthew East