Guisborough Town 3-1 Sunderland RCA

Guisborough Town 3-1 Sunderland RCA



Date Time Competition Season Attendance Captain
30/08/2023 19:45 Ebac Northern League Division 1 2023/24 312 Nick Hood

Guisborough Town F.C. Logo KO KO 5 26 32 62 63 67 69 75 79 88 FT

Match Report

Guisborough Town soared several places up the league table with what manager Steve Bell described as an “excellent performance” against Sunderland RCA at the KGV on Wednesday.

It was the Priorymen’s second successive league victory and propelled them up to ninth in the table despite having conceded a shock sixth minute goal by lowly RCA.

After the game Manager Steve enthused:

This was an excellent result and performance tonight. I really thought we controlled 75% of the game and even though we went 1-0 down early on I always felt we had enough control in the game to create chances and that’s how it panned out overall.

There were excellent full debuts for defender Callum Williams and young Matty Bage in midfield who I thought were both outstanding and in the end I felt a 3-1 win was about right. I’m really looking forward now to our next FA Cup Qualifier against Atherton Collieries at the KGV this coming Saturday afternoon.

The match was only six minutes old when RCA debutant Alberto Serra coolly slotted home for 1-0 to the visitors. Despite that early shock, Guisborough rallied strongly and created a string of chances in the next 20 minutes culminating in a deserved equaliser.

Nick Hood crossed in the 26th minute to find Eddie Thomas whose effort at the RCA goal was deflected to Lewis Green who in turn saw his shot saved by the RCA ‘keeper. But fortunately for Town winger Kurt Howes was on hand to shoot home into an empty net for 1-1.

In the 41st minute Guisborough had a golden opportunity to go 2-1 in front when they were awarded a penalty through a Kurtis Howes burst into the box.

Up stepped Ty O’Neill – scorer of a penalty at North Shields on Saturday – to strike his spot kick well enough towards the corner by the RCA ‘keeper made a magnificent save diving to his right to keep the ball out and the score remained tied at 1-1 at the interval.

The game turned in Guisborough’s favour in the 63rd minute when Lewy Green smashed the ball home for 2-1 after substitute Cole Kiernan made an immediate impact by making a great run down the right and fizzing the ball over into the danger area. His cross was initially blocked but Green was well placed to take advantage of the rebound.


In the 75th minute Cal Williams – making a great full debut for Guisborough – hit a great left foot strike but the ball cleared the RCA bar.

But in the 89th minute the Priorymen made sure of all three points when Kurt Howes capped a fine game by bursting down the left and squaring the ball for Eddie Thomas to sweep the ball home for his second late goal in two matches and wrap up a 3-1 win for Guisborough.

So after a shaky start in the league the Priorymen are now well and truly up and running and complementing the fine FA Cup form to climb comfortably over half way with nine points from their first six league matches.

The crowd on Wednesday was a very healthy 312 and the club really appreciates the loyal support of its fans.

Next up for Guisborough is their tough FA Cup First Qualifying Round tie this coming Saturday, 2 September (KO 3pm) at home to Atherton Collieries, who play two leagues above the Priorymen. Guisborough will be hoping to get more key players back in their heavily-depleted squad back for the game against Atherton.

Report: Bill Perfitt

Past Meetings



King George V Stadium
King George V Stadium Howlbeck Road, Guisborough TS14 6LE