Guisborough Town 1-2 Bishop Auckland

Guisborough Town 1-2 Bishop Auckland



Date Time Competition Season Attendance Captain
23/08/2023 19:45 Ebac Northern League Division 1 2023/24 362 Jordan Fielding

Guisborough Town F.C. Logo KO KO 8 29 45 51 59 65 67 73 86 89 FT

Match Report

Guisborough Town’s glorious four-match unbeaten run came to an end at the KGV Stadium on Wednesday night as Bishop Auckland emerged 2-1 winners after a fiercely-fought tussle.

Yet again an already severely depleted Guisborough side suffered yet more injuries during a physical encounter and ended the match like the ‘walking wounded’ once more.

After conceding two goals following ‘softly’ given free kicks, the Priorymen were desperately unlucky not to get back on level terms for the second time when a brilliant 78th minute effort from substitute Mikey McGee struck the top of the Bishop’s cross bar and was scrambled clear.

Nineteen minutes earlier in the 59th minute McGee’s quick-thinking led to a superb Guisborough equaliser when lifted a quick free kick over the Bishop’s defence and Cole Kiernan reacted brilliantly, lobbing the ball over former Guisborough ‘keeper Ryan Catterick and coolly side-footing the ball home.

It was Kiernan’s fourth goal in as many matches but the first not to have come playing as a substitute.

The goal cancelled out an eighth minute penalty awarded to Bishops after they won a ‘soft’ free kick 20 yards out from Guisborough’s goal. The ball was drilled towards goal and although Guisborough ‘keeper Robert Dean saved well he couldn’t hold on to the ball and a Bishop’s striker went to ground after appearing to be pushed. Up stepped Craig Gott to score easily from the spot for an early 1-0 lead to the Bishops.

And it was Gott who got the winner with a 65th minute free kick from nearly 30 yards out from the Guisborough goal.

Although the kick was from a long way out, it was fairly central and, inexplicably, Guisborough didn’t organise a big enough wall and Gott had an unobstructed view to drill the ball hard and low just inside the right hand post for 2-1.

That’s how it stayed to full time although just a minute after McGee had hit the bar Guisborough themselves had a shout for a penalty when a Bishop’s defender appeared to handle the ball just inside his own penalty area but the referee gave nothing.


So Guisborough’s impressive four-match unbeaten run came to an end but not before they put up a brave fight against a Bishop’s side who clearly have got a lot of ‘bang’ for the big bucks they are paying their players.

Guisborough’s next game is in the league at North Shields this coming Saturday, 26 August (KO 3pm) and then they are back home at the KGV the following Wednesday, 30 August against Sunderland RCA (KO 7.45pm).

Report: Bill Perfitt

As many people know by now, Guisborough Town’s brave young player James Boucher suffered a badly broken arm in that memorable FA Cup win at Pontefract on Saturday. Fortunately, James is now making a good recovery and was visited by Guisborough Town Manager Steve Bell earlier this week and was in good spirits considering the very painful experience he suffered at the weekend.

Past Meetings



King George V Stadium
King George V Stadium Howlbeck Road, Guisborough TS14 6LE