Guisborough Town 2-3 Newton Aycliffe

Guisborough Town 2-3 Newton Aycliffe



Date Time Competition Season Attendance Captain
11/01/2023 19:45 Ebac Northern League Division 1 2022/23 217 'JJ' Bartliff

Guisborough Town F.C. Logo KO Newton Aycliffe FC logo KO 2 47 63 64 67 73 77 81 87 89 FT

Match Report

A goal three minutes from time by high-flying Newton Aycliffe condemned unlucky Guisborough Town to a second successive defeat by the odd goal in five at the KGV Stadium on Wednesday night.

Trailing 1-0 at half-time to a shock Aycliffe goal by Edward Thomas in only the second minute, Guisborough bounced back strongly after the interval and equalised just two minutes into the second half.

It was skipper JJ Bartliff who latched on to a short Shabs Mohammed free kick to steer the ball over the Aycliffe ‘keeper. Then in the 73rd minute the Priorymen forged ahead with an opportunistic goal well taken by second half Guisborough substitute Mikey McGee to put his side 2-1 up.

But Guisborough’s joy was short-lived as first former KGV favourite Joe Ferguson drilled home a low shot at the back post on 77 minutes then with only three minutes left Liam Jarvie took advantage of a rare slip by Guisborough ‘keeper Will Cowey to score from an oblique angle for 3-2 to the visitors.

It was tough luck on Guisborough who had rallied strongly in the second half after playing second fiddle to Aycliffe for the majority of the first half. Overall, it was a full-blooded, highly-competitive match which kept a crowd of 217 thoroughly entertained from start to finish.

After the game Guisborough Manager Steve Bell was upbeat despite his side’s narrow defeat. He commented:

I thought this was a great game of football tonight. Although we conceded after just two minutes we proceeded to grow into the game.

We know Aycliffe are a good side currently standing second in the table and that we were bound to concede chances during the game, but going in 1-0 down at half time I always still fancied us in the second half. Then when we equalised just two minutes after the interval we were well on top for the next 20 minutes.

But I told the players after the game that the biggest mistake we all made tonight was our mentality after going 2-1 up. We sat back with 20 minutes to go and hoped we could hang on – but that was the wrong mentality entirely. I told the lads that in that situation we should always think that we are actually losing the game and should press hard for the next goal – even if we suffer in the final result.

It’s been a strange week, really, starting with that unfortunate result at Heaton Stannington. But on tonight’s showing overall I really proud of the players. We go again on Saturday at home to our Teesside derby rivals Thornaby.

Report: Bill Perfitt


RefereeAssistant Referees
Patrick LawsRobert Enderwick
Thomas Phillips

Past Meetings



King George V Stadium
King George V Stadium Howlbeck Road, Guisborough TS14 6LE